INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO PACK A BOX
The following guidelines are to be used to ensure that records are packed properly in standard record storage boxes:
· Use only approved Records Center boxes (1.2 cubic feet).
· Records should be packed in the same order they are filed in the agency.
· All records in each box should belong to the same records series or must have the same retention disposal date.
· Leave approximately one (1) inch of space in each box to facilitate retrieval. Overpacking boxes causes problems for shelving as well as retrieval. Remove any folders or oversized items that will cause the box to exceed required shelving measurements.
· Records should not be placed on top of other records in the box.
· Tops of boxes SHOULD NOT be taped.
· The weight of each box should not exceed 35 pounds.
· Legal size records should face the long (15 inch) side of the box. Letter size may face the short (12 inch) end of the box to make use of available space in the back of the box (see diagram below).
· Please do not write on boxes except to number boxes (i.e. 1 of 10, A/R-01) on the top half of the short side of the box. A BRIEF contents identifier may to added at the top half or on the long side of the box (i.e. 1998, A-E). The Records Center uses the bottom half of the 12 inch side.
· Please remove records with hanging files, 3-ring binders, binder clips, spiral binders and place in clearly identified file folders or file pockets. (Reuse binders, hanging files and binder clips for active records or return them to your office supply section for reuse).
· Do not mix record media (i.e. Microfiche with paper records).
· If you are transferring records in a media other than paper (i.e. Microfiche, audio/video tapes, magnetic media), note the media type on the transmittal within the description of the contents for that box. State Archives destroys paper documents only. It is the responsibility of the Agency to pick up and destroy any other media type records.
· Please call the Records Center for additional questions at 225.922.1224.