Independent Candidates for President
· The qualifying period is 8 a.m. on Aug. 7, 2012 through 5 p.m. on Sept. 7, 2012.
· Each independent candidate for president must have eight presidential electors, one from each of the six congressional districts and two from the state at-large.
· Each of the eight presidential electors must complete two forms: the Notice of Candidacy (QF-42-E) (PDF) and the Affidavit of Acceptance of Nomination (Pres.Elec-Ind.Aff.) (PDF).
· The qualifying fee is $500 and must be in the form of cash, certified or cashier’s check on a state or national bank or credit union, United States Postal money order or money order issued by a state or national bank or credit union.
· In lieu of a qualifying fee, a nominating petition may be submitted. The nominating petition must contain at least 5,000 signatures of registered voters, 500 of which must be obtained in each of the six congressional districts. The first day to begin obtaining signatures is April 9, 2012, and the deadline to submit the petitions to the registrars in each parish is Aug. 8, 2012.
· The Notices of Candidacy, the Affidavits of Acceptance of Nomination and the qualifying fee or certified nominating petition must be filed with the Secretary of State, Elections Division, P.O. Box 94125, Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125 (physical address: 8585 Archives Ave., Baton Rouge, LA 70809) between Aug. 7, 2012 and Sept. 7, 2012.