Notary Quick Facts
A Louisiana notary's signature is his seal. A notary is not required to have a particular style of seal to give authenticity to his copies. See Flemming v. Richardson & Smith, 13 La. Ann. 414, (1858)
A Louisiana notary's commission does not expire until his death. See La.Op.Atty.Gen., 1940-42, p. 2346.
Surety Bond — must be renewed every 5 years.
Notaries are required to file a Notary Surety Bond or a Personal Surety Bond or an Errors and Omissions Policy in the amount of $10,000. Please include latest mailing address and daytime telephone number.
A new surety or a bond must be filed upon cancellation or death of the surety.
Must maintain and purchase separate bonds or sureties in each parish. Any resident citizen or alien of the state, at least 18 years old, may be appointed a notary for the parish of the notary's residence and for any one other parish in which the notary maintains an office, provided that the parish requirements are met. R.S. 35:191 (A)
Any person who has been validly appointed as a notary in any parish for 5 years and who changes residence to another parish may obtain a notarial commission for the parish of new residence by complying with the laws governing notaries for the new parish; however, the validly appointed notary shall not be required to pass further examinations. R.S. 35:191 (E)
A practicing notary in a parish may notarize in the group of parishes listed below without additional bonding or examination:
- Acadia, Evangeline, St. Landry
- Acadia, Lafayette, Vermilion
- Allen, Beauregard, Calcasieu, Cameron, Jefferson Davis, Vernon
- Ascension, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberville, Livingston, West Feliciana, Pointe Coupee, West Baton Rouge
- Assumption, Lafourche, St. Mary, Terrebonne
- Avoyelles, Grant, Rapides
- Bienville, Caldwell, East Carroll, Franklin, Jackson, Lincoln, Madison, Morehouse, Ouachita, Richland, Union, West Carroll
- Bossier, Caddo, Bienville, Claiborne, DeSoto, Webster
- Catahoula, Concordia
- Jefferson, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard
- Iberia, St. Martin, St. Mary
- Lafayette, St. Landry
- Livingston, St. Helena, Tangipahoa
- Iberia, Vermilion
- Sabine, Bienville, Natchitoches, Red River, Vernon, Winn