Authenticate Signatures of Louisiana Officials
Apostille and Authentication Certificates
Documents going to another country require certification by the secretary of state. Our office certifies the signature of the acknowledging Louisiana official such as notary publics, clerks of court, deputy clerks of court, ex-officio notary deputy sheriffs, judges, justices of the peace and the registrar of vital records. We also certify transcripts and diplomas signed by state accredited university's registrar, president, dean, etc., and transcripts and diplomas signed by the high school's superintendent. See Authentication Request Form.
View the list of the foreign countries that require apostille certificates. All other countries use an authentication certificate.
Send documents to:
- Louisiana Secretary of State
P. O. Box 94125
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9125
- Documents are normally processed and returned within two (2) to three (3) business days.
- Requests should include a daytime telephone number and the name of country where documents are going. Do not list secretary of state as sender on the return label.
- The fee is $20 per certificate issued, except for adoptions which are $10 per certificate.
- To order a copy of your birth certificate, see Vital Records Registry (external link).
- The document, with an original signature and with name printed underneath, must be sent to our office. We do not accept photocopies of birth or death certificates.
- Always use our physical address when using FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.:
Louisiana Secretary of State
8585 Archives Ave.
Baton Rouge, LA 70809
- We do not pay for courier service. You must provide a pre-paid mailing envelope or a completed return label with the customer's account number for us to have the certified documents returned by courier service.
- For more information, call 225.922.0330.