How do I use the Records Center

In accordance with La. R.S. 44:408, the Records Center provides secure, climate-controlled storage for state agencies. The Records Center is located at the Louisiana State Archives on 3851 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge, LA 70809. The Records Center provides the following services: 

  • Storage for statewide executive and legislative branch agency records.
  • Retrieval of requested records for onsite review or checkout.
  • Destruction of records once the records have met their retention.

Eligible Records

Only state agencies with approved retention schedules can store records at the Records Center. Records must be inactive records with a total retention period of ten years or less. If you would like to request a copy of your agency's retention schedule or submit a new schedule, please contact the Records Management Division at 225.922.3094 or email Records Management for assistance.

Ownership and Access

Records stored in the Records Center belong to the agency storing the records. The agency controls who has permission to access their records. To request that your agency's records be pulled for review, call 225.922.3094 or email the Records Center to schedule an appointment. Please provide the box number and the file name for the records you are requesting.  

Boxes to Use

Agencies must use 1.2 cu. ft. boxes (15"x12"x10") to store records in the Records Center. Agencies may purchase a bundle of 25 boxes for $26.75 from the Records Center through Interagency Transfer or via check. Contact the Records Center at 225.922.1224 to order boxes. Click here to download a guidance sheet on how to pack your records properly for storage. 

Records Transmittal

Once the Records Transmittal Form is filled out, the agency may send it to the Records Center via email or mail the form to:

Louisiana State Archives

Attn.: Records Center

P.O. Box 94125

Baton Rouge, LA 70804

Transferring Records

Records Center personnel will contact you to schedule a delivery date for your records once your transmittal has been received and reviewed.

Disposal of Stored Records 

The Records Center will notify your Records Officer when your records are eligible for destruction. Records will not be destroyed until the Records Officer authorizes their destruction by signing the Disposal Request Form (SSARC-130), which is available for download on the Get Forms page. The Records Center only disposes of paper records. Records of other formats (CDs, DVDs, etc.) must be retrieved by the depositing agency for destruction.


If you have any questions, please contact the Records Center at 225.922.1224 or email the Records Center.