Home > Elections & Voting > Register to Vote > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Apply online to register to vote or make changes to your registration.

Apply in person to register to vote at any registrar of voters office or at any of the following locations:
  • Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles;
  • Louisiana Department of Social Services offices, WIC offices, food stamp offices and medicaid offices;
  • offices serving persons with disabilities such as the deaf action centers and independent living offices; and
  • armed forces recruitment offices.
Apply by mail by downloading the Louisiana Voter Registration Application, completing it and returning it to your local registrar of voters office. Please note that the list of offices for registrars is included on the form. You may also get the mailing address from this list of  registrar of voters offices.

Faxed voter registration forms are not accepted. The voter registration form should be addressed and mailed or hand-delivered to the appropriate registrar of voters in the parish in which you are registering. Do not mail or otherwise send voter registration forms to the secretary of state elections division. Deadlines requiring receipt in the registrar of voters office may be missed. You must be registered 30 days prior to an election to be eligible to vote in that particular election.

You must re-register when you move to a new parish.

See La R.S. 18:114, La R.S. 18:116(a-c), and La R.S. 18:135 to learn more about voter registration.
You must:
  • be a U.S. citizen;
  • be 17 years old, but must be 18 years old to vote (may be 16 years old to register to vote at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles);
  • not be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony;
  • not be under a judgment of full interdiction for mental incompetence or partial interdiction with suspension of voting rights; and
  • reside in the state and parish in which you seek to register.

See U.S. Const. amendment XIV, U.S. Const. amendment XXVI, R.S. 18:101, and R.S. 18:102 for more information about voter registration qualifications.

Nothing, registering to vote is a right afforded to you as a United States citizen by the Constitution of the United States.
You may contact your parish registrar of voters office to request a duplicate voter information card. 

You may also print your own by accessing the secretary of state's voter portal. Once the portal is open, select the search 'By Voter' tab, enter your information and click 'Search'. Next, select the 'Voter Registration' tab and then the 'Print Voter Information' link.
Yes, you must qualify to register with a residence address in the parish with a street or rural route address. Post office box addresses and mail center boxes do not qualify. We must know where you live so you are assigned to the proper voting precinct for Election Day.
Displaced voters: If you were involuntarily displaced to a new parish or state due to a gubernatorially declared emergency, but want to remain registered to vote at your pre-emergency address, you may remain registered there if you have not changed your registration address or filed a homestead exemption on a different residence. You should provide a mailing address, if different from your pre-emergency residence address, to your registrar of voters to remain an active voter. Also, please see 'If I have more than one address, can I choose which address to use for registering?' for more information regarding homestead exemptions.

See La R.S. 18:101(B) to learn more about residency requirements.
Yes, unless you claim a homestead exemption in one of the residences. If you claim a homestead exemption then you must use your homestead exemption address:  however, if you do not claim homestead exemption and reside at more than one place in the state with an intention to reside there indefinitely, you may register only at one of the places at which you reside. There is a homestead exception in the law, however, for persons who reside in a nursing home, as defined in R.S. 40:2009.2, or in a veterans' home operated by the state or federal government. They may register and vote at the address where the nursing home or veterans' home is located, even though they have a homestead exemption on their residence.

See R.S. 18:101(B) to learn more about homestead exemptions and requirements.
A change of name can be made by producing, in the presence of the registrar of voters, an affidavit stating the name under which the person desires to be registered. A person who changes their name by virtue of a judgment of court shall file with the registrar of voters a certified copy of the judgment or affidavit.

If you have moved inside of your parish, notify your parish registrar of voters of any changes to your registration. Failure to update your residential address may result in an inactive registration status. Inactive voters must verify their residential addresses prior to voting, which may be done on Election Day at the precinct, in person at the registrar's office, online or by mail through a voter registration application.

If you have moved outside of  your parish, you are no longer eligible to remain registered in that parish. You must register in your new parish.

Displaced voters: If you were involuntarily displaced to a new parish or state due to a gubernatorially declared emergency, but want to remain registered to vote at your pre-emergency address, you may remain registered there if you have not changed your registration address or filed a homestead exemption on a different residence. You should provide a mailing address, if different from your pre-emergency residence address, to your registrar of voters or online to remain an active voter.

See La R.S. 18:101(F), La R.S. 18:109, La R.S. 18:110, and La R.S. 18:111 to read more about voter registration changes.
If registering in person at a parish registrar of voters office, you are required to prove age, residency and identity. You must submit your current Louisiana driver's license or Louisiana special identification card, if you have one, or your social security card, birth certificate or other documentation which reasonably and sufficiently establishes your identity, age and residency.

If you do not have any of these, you may bring a copy of a current and valid photo identification, a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, or government document that includes your name and address.

If registering at a mandated site, no further proof of identification is required other than whatever proof is required for services received that you have applied for at the public agency. Louisiana mails a verification mailing card to verify the address you have provided when registering by mail.

See La R.S. 18:101, La R.S. 18:101.1, La R.S. 18:105, La R.S. 18:115(b)(1), and La R.S. 18:116(B) to learn more about what is needed to register to vote.
No, once you are registered in your parish, you will remain registered as an active voter.

If you move and your residence address is not able to be verified through the U.S. Postal Service during the annual canvass or you do not return the address confirmation card, you will be placed on inactive status. You can activate your status by verifying your residence address online with a change of address or in person either on Election Day before voting or at the registrar of voters office by completion of an address confirmation card.

If you do not verify your address and do not vote in two federal general elections, you may be canceled. You may also be suspended or canceled if you lose your civil rights or register to vote in another state.

See La R.S. 18:102, La R.S. 18:193, and La R.S. 18:196 for more information on registration prior to elections and voting.
Yes, voter registration is not transferable. You must register every time you move to a new parish in Louisiana. You will be canceled in your old parish and you will not be allowed to vote in your new parish unless and until you complete another voter registration application. You can register onlinein person or by mail.

See La R.S. 18:193, La R.S. 18:196, and La R.S. 18:199 for more information on moving between parishes.
Yes, you may not be registered in more than one state. Contact your parish registrar of voters to have your voter registration canceled.

See La R.S. 18:101(A) for more information on moving out of state.
Students may use their home residence address within the state or their school address for voter registration purposes. Out of state students are allowed to use their school address in Louisiana if they want to be a voter in this state. If they register to vote by mail, they may vote absentee by mail by including a copy of their fee bill or student identification card with their application to vote absentee by mail.

See R.S. 18:101(C) and R.S. 18:1303(B)(2) to learn about voter registration options for full time students.
Louisiana statutes require you to be registered 30 days prior to an election to be eligible to vote in that particular election. However, if the deadline falls on a legal holiday, the registrar will close the registration records on the first day after such holiday which is not a Saturday, Sunday, or other legal holiday.

See R.S. 18:135(A)(1) to read more about registration deadlines prior to an election.
In order for you to vote on the correct ballot for an election, your registration must have your residential address.Your special districts and elected representatives are determined by your residential address.

See R.S. 18:101(B) to learn more about state residential requirements.
You must submit documentation to the registrar of voters in your parish showing that you are no longer under an order of imprisonment or that you have been pardoned. You must submit the documentation in person or you may submit by mail if you qualify under the physically handicapped program, by showing proof of your disability. Proof of disability includes either a current mobility-impaired identification card, certificate of a medical doctor or optometrist certifying to the disability, current documentation showing eligibility for social security disability benefits, veteran's disability benefits, paratransit services, the office for citizens with developmental disabilities or benefits from Louisiana Rehabilitation Services.

See La R.S. 18:177 and La R.S. 18:177.1 to learn more about reinstatement of registrations for felons or those under interdictions.
While this question sounds complicated, it is really very simple. If you live in Louisiana and intend for this to be your legal residence, you are a Louisiana resident.
Louisiana has five (5) recognized political parties:
  • Democratic;
  • Green;
  • Libertarian;
  • Reform; and
  • Republican.
The Green, Libertarian, and Reform parties have fulfilled all the requirements in La R.S. 18:441 and are now recognized political parties.

Your party affiliation can be changed by simply sending your registrar of voters a written note requesting your party change (including signature), or by completing another voter registration application. You may make changes online. All changes made 30 days prior to an election are effective for that election, otherwise the change cannot become effective until the next election.

See La R.S. 18:101(B) and La R.S. 18:135(C) for more information on changing party status on your registration.

No, your email address is protected from disclosure along with your social security number, driver’s license number, day and month of your date of birth, and mother’s maiden name.

See R.S. 18:154(C) to read about a voter's protected information.