Frequently Asked Questions

  • Issued to elected officials (except the president, U.S. senators and U.S. congressmen) and mailed by our office, with a Code of Governmental Ethics, oath of office form and ID card;
  • issued to officials appointed by the governor, including members of boards and commissions, and mailed by the Governor's Office;
  • issued to notaries;
  • issued to assistant district attorneys when a letter of appointment and oath of office are received from the district attorney
  • replacement certificates are issued when an original certificate has been lost or damaged, but require a written request with the name of the official, address and a $20 replacement fee
A priest, minister, rabbi, clerk of the Religious Society of Friends or any clergyman of any religious sect who is authorized by the authorities of his religion to perform marriages must be registered with the clerk of court in the parish where he will principally perform marriage ceremonies. A state judge or justice of the peace can also perform marriage ceremonies.
Submit the name of the elected official; the office the person held; the year, month and day the person served in office; and a contact person's name and telephone number. A $20 fee is required.
An apostille is a specific form of authenticaton that is prepared pursuant to an international treaty known as the "Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirements of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents." The convention eliminates the need for authentication above the level of the secretary of state and is only accepted by countries that have signed the treaty.
Walk ins are taken from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Visitors must sign in at the front desk in the Commercial Division.
We accept cash, checks, money orders, credit cards and debit cards. Please make checks and money orders payable to: Secretary of State of Louisiana.